Monday, March 6, 2017

Reflecting on Week Two with Stephen Gartner


For me, week two was about taking pressure off of myself... The pressure to get it "right"... The pressure to be perfect and "nail it" and instead allow myself to explore and bring a beginner's mindset back to the work.

It is a little scary. I don't want to suck but if I'm giving myself the freedom to explore, I may very well fail but I may also discover things about myself and about our work.

My wife read this slogan somewhere (maybe it was on a shirt or a poster) that said: FAIL BETTER. I guess that's what I'm trying to do.

Over the years I've had a tendency to perhaps get a little too SERIOUS about acting. This past week I started to actually have fun. Why shouldn't it be fun? We're doing play-acting for living. Richard (Stephen is working on Richard in Richard III in the Shakespeare Scene Study) is a "dark" character but he takes great pleasure in his horrendous acts. Shouldn't the actor playing him have a little fun as well?

Maybe I've taken a few metaphorical chains off and found that little extra freedom to be as fun and exhilarating as it is scary.

Stephen Gartner is playing Colonel Brandon in Sense and Sensibility at the Citadel later this season. 

No comments:

Post a Comment