Friday, February 24, 2017

Getting Here...

The Citadel/Banff Centre Professional Theatre Program, part of The Citadel’s Academy, offers an advanced creative development Program to enrich the performance skills of established theatre professionals. Now in its ninth year, this Program, conceived by Citadel Theatre Artistic Director Emeritus Bob Baker, provides a unique professional development opportunity to Canadian theatre artists.

The Citadel/Banff Centre Professional Theatre Program is designed to embrace and enhance the artist’s strengths while encouraging the exploration of new concepts. The curriculum of the Program comprises a five-week course of master classes in scene study, movement/dance, singing, voice and speech, stage combat, classical text, improvisation and script analysis by a Faculty of some of Canada’s leading theatre artists. The residency for the Program is divided between Banff (four weeks) and Edmonton (one week).
You can find out more about the Program here. 

Even before I started working at the Citadel, three and a half years ago, I was interested in the Citadel/Banff Centre Professional Theatre Program. I was interested and excited about the opportunity for developing my skills which, over time, tended to be forgotten in lieu of production deadlines. So, this year, I decided to throw my hat in the ring and was delighted to be accepted into the Program as one of the two Intern Directors. There are a few reasons why this year felt particularly right for me. First, the project would be Sense and Sensibility, a new adaption, and as a director who works on a lot of New Work, I felt that this would be a terrific opportunity for me to see how another director-playwright team collaborates and negotiates. I'm also a big Austen fan so that was another reason for wanting to do the program this year. There are also a few personal timing reasons why this was a good time for me. I have been feeling a need, as an artist, to refresh both my skills and my energy with regards to the art I have been making. I had a great fear that I was stagnating and was interested in a opportunity to take the time to evaluate what I was doing as a theatre artists and recharge with skill development in the company of others who were seeking the same. So... here I go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment